Plays available on video:
- White Peak Farm (BBC schools). Originally transmitted on BBC Children’s television, directed by Andrew Morgan. It is based on my novel about a farming family who begin to go their separate ways.
- Children of Winter (Channel 4 schools). Based on my novel about three children who survive the Plague of Eyam.
- Dear Nobody (adapted by Richard Cameron from my novel) (BBC schools)
- Zzaap and the Word Master (BBC schools). Accompanied by a novel and story book, the adventures of two children trapped inside a computer game by Victor Virus.
Plays available on audio cassette:
- The Water Babies (adapted from the novel by Charles Kingsley), with Tim West (BBC Audio Tapes)
- Heidi (adapted from the novel by Johanna Spyri) (BBC Audio Tapes)
Full list of plays broadcast and performed:
- White Peak Farm, BBC 1, 1988
- Children of Winter, Channel 4, Jan 1994
- Zzaap and the Word Master, BBC 2, 2001
For BBC Radio:
- The Drowned Village, BBC Radio 4, 1980. My first radio play. This was a thirty minute play directed by Kay Patrick, and is a fantasy based on the drowned village of Derwent under Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire.
- Requiem, BBC Radio 4, 1982. Directed on location by Kay Patrick. This play began as a short story and later became a full-length novel (Penguin group). An Irish girl rejects her Catholicism, her home and her family as she tries to discover who she really is.
- Sacrifice, BBC Radio 4, 1985. Directed by Kay Patrick. Began as a short story for Radio 4. A group of young people hold a weekend party in remote Scotland. They intend to sacrifice a pig, but one of the children goes missing.
- There’s a Valley in Spain, BBC Radio 4, 1990. Directed by Kay Patrick. An adaptation from my theatre play Return to the Ebro, about a Manchester man, Sam Wild, who joins the International Brigade during the Spanish Civil War. As an old man, he looks back on what mattered to him in his life.
- Dear Nobody, BBC Radio 4, 1993. A dramatisation from my novel.
- Dear Nobody, BBC Radio 4 schools
- The Snow Queen, BBC Radio 4, 1994. Directed by Janet Whitaker. With Diana Rigg and Dirk Bogarde. A dramatisation from the Hans Andersen story.
- Heidi, BBC Radio 4, 1996. Directed by Janet Whitaker, dramatisation from the Johanna Spyri novel.
- The Water Babies, BBC Radio 4, 1999. Directed by Janet Whitaker, with Tim West. Dramatisation from Charles Kingsley
- Unlucky for Some, BBC Radio Sheffield, 1980
- Numerous short plays for BBC Radio Sheffield schools from 1979–1982
For BBC4 schools’ radio:
- Home, BBC Radio schools 1982 (published) Unwin Hyman Education Stage Write, 1982
- The White Bird of Peace, BBC Radio 4 schools, 1983
- Morning Coach to Morgantown, BBC Radio 4 schools, 1983
- A Case for Probation, BBC Radio 4 schools 1983 Hutchinson Education, 1986
- Miss Elizabeth, BBC Radio 4 schools, 1985
- The Mouse and his Child (dramatisation of Russell Hoban’s novel) BBC Radio 4 schools, 1986
- Dream of Unicorns (later Spellhorn), BBC Radio 4 schools, 1988
- The Sad Poet, BBC Radio 4, 1982
- Children of Winter (dramatisation of my novel), BBC Radio 4 schools, 1988
- Granny Was a Buffer Girl (dramatisation of my novel), BBC Radio 4 schools, 1990
- Street Child (abridged by Alan Brown), BBC Radio 4 schools, 2003
- Children of Winter (abridged by Alan Brown), BBC Radio 4 schools, 2004
- Return to the Ebro, first performed Manchester Library Theatre, 1986
- Dear Nobody, first performed Sheffield Crucible Theatre 1983. Directed by Mandy Smith. Winner of the Writers’ Guild Award for Children’s theatre. Collinseducation Plays plus 1996
- The Sleeping Beauty, New Victoria Theatre, Stoke-on-Trent, 1993. Directed by Rob Swain.
- Sleeping Beauty, performed widely.
- Smells and Spells, Sheffield, 1980
- Howard’s Field, Sheffield Crucible 1979, (later Morgan's Field, CollinsEducation 1995)
- Tilly Mint and the Dodo Dac, Doncaster schools tour
- A Growing Girl’s Story, Yorkshire Art Circus tour, 1989
- The Amazing Journey of Jazz O’Neill, Hull, 1984
- Memories, Halifax, 1992